Saturday, December 19, 2015
Saturday 9: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (1979)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) According to a marketing research firm, this song is both one of the most played and most hated songs of the season. Do you like it? Not really. It usually becomes an earworm, every time I hear it on the radio....It's playing in my mind as I blog.
2) In this song, Grandma's troubles start when she drinks too much eggnog. Do you like eggnog? Yes, I usually mix it with with a little milk as it is too thick and sweet for my taste. Silk has a good almond milk nog that is just right. I haven't put rum or liquor in it for years.....so drinking too much will only make this Grandma chubbier.
3) In the song, Grandpa recovers from losing Grandma by drinking beer and playing cards with Cousin Mel. Will you be celebrating the holidays with cousins? No just DD2, this year...most of my cousins are in CA. We always celebrated with aunts and cousins on Christmas with a chili dinner. We still have chili on Christmas here in MO.
4) When did you most recently drink a beer? Was it in a bottle, a can or a glass? In college in the 60's. I never cared for the taste. It was probably in a bottle or glass.
5) The lyrics refer to "pudding of fig." In "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," the carolers demand figgy pudding. Yet despite its popularity in holiday songs, Sam has never tasted fig pudding. Have you? I think so, my grandma made a tasty, moist, made in a loaf, Christmas sweet. It had lots of nuts and raisins, it wasn't a fruit cake and she did not refer to it as figgy pudding, but the consistency was pudding like...Though not chocolaty Jello pudding like. The English seem to refer to all desserts as pudding.
6) Thinking of holiday sweets, would you prefer a gingerbread cookie or slice of pumpkin pie? Ginger bread anything. I prefer my ginger bread more cake like, but I don't mind a good gingerbread man. Mr BC likes pumpkin pie and I will make a sugarless one for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
7) This song was recorded by a duo named Elmo & Patsy. It occurs to Sam that she has never met anyone named Elmo. How about you? Any Elmos in your life? Yes, my first 'boyfriend's' dad was named Elmo. They were originally from Texas.
8) Do you need snow to get "into the spirit?" I usually spend my Christmas in CA since I grew up there. Christmas was never snowy. We haven't had snow here exactly on Christmas here that I can recall, though I know it must have.....sometime.
9) Random question: Are you going to get/have you gotten a flu shot this year? I would like to get one but I keep forgetting. I have heard the shot this year won't protect from the flu, they are expecting. I was going to get one anyway.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
2. Each year Time Magazine names a 'Person of the Year', someone who has 'for better or worse...done the most to influence the events of the year.' It was recently announced they've named Angela Merkel Person of the Year for 2015. You can read more about this year's selection here. Your thoughts? I was not familiar with her until the refugee issue. I guess she is deserving of it. Just as long as Trump isn't honored by anything this year I am fine. If you were in charge, who would you declare Person of the Year? Nurses! The great nurses at Freeman Hospital in Joplin, were so caring and wonderful to Mr BC. All the staff should be commended.
3. Do you have a nativity set in your home? If so share it's history and how you display the pieces. We had one when the girls were younger. It was displayed on the mantle, got broken in the move and is in pieces in a decoration box up stairs. I don't have a mantle here, and since we usually go to CA, I haven't decorated in a few years.
4. Do you make an extra effort to give back in some way during the holiday season? How do you encourage those who need encouragement this time of year? Since this year, Mr BC has been so sick, my encouragement is directed to him. I usually try to give a gift to those who are less blessed than we are, I will take a name from a tree and shop for that person. I notice my Walmart had one, I have to go today so I hope there are some names left.
5. Who is your favorite person to shop for? Why? I loved shopping for the girls when they were young...I have transferred that love to the grandsons. I try to come up with special gifts that will be meaningful to them. This year I have ordered a subscription from Kiwi Crate to deliver a box of crafts, books and experiments to do every month for the next 6 months. I told DD1 that I would continue it if she felt it was worthwhile and the boys used and enjoyed it. Since they will be back after Christmas, I will send some other thing I have later. Now I have to start thinking about birthday gifts for everyone's birthday in early Feb. I hope Mr BC will be doing well enough for me to go out there for the birthdays.
6. What's the last delicious thing you ate? Sweet potato fries at the hospital (they are fat and crispy and delish!), while I was waiting for Mr BC outpatient surgery to be completed*. I also loved the chocolate mousse like desserts we had when we were in Paris.
7. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is keeping a positive intent, not worrying about how others may or may not celebrate. Whether they say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, not getting upset that someone's community have secular or religious celebrations. No one can take your joy away, unless you let them.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I do not see how anyone could work at a department store anymore, the fragrance department has taken over all the fresh air on the first floor. When I walk by the candle/bath works etc, I can smell it when I walk the mall, even when it is closed. I am getting very affected by too strong fragrances, I use to hate getting trapped in an elevator with some one who smells so strongly, now it overpowers me sometimes in a whole store.
*He was fine afterwards...he has very little pain. He had a peritoneal port installed for when he starts dialysis, the kidney doctor wanted it healed and ready when the dialysis was necessary.
Sunday, December 13, 2015
Why Do You Want To Know That Meme, part two
I didn't participate last week....but I like these questions better.
25. List 3 activities that you can only enjoy by yourself. Reading, Bathing, Shopping.
26. If you could live in any biome* (and survive) which biome would you live in? (*a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat, e.g., forest or tundra.) I would like to live in a Snow White forest with small animals who would come to me while I sing.
27. How do you like being roused in the morning? Naturally, not by alarm or pain. This morning I did not mind being awakened by alarm, other than I was deep in REM sleep. I was having an uncomfortable dream, where I could not hold on to things and when they dropped there was even more to pick up and no where to put them....also I could not find my phone and I needed to make a phone call for someone to pick me up...a lot of things were interrupting me....I guess I needed to wake up. I the meaning seems obvious to me...how out of control things seem for me right now.
28. How was your day? What did you do? My days are generally the same...taking care of Mr BC and his medicine. Luckily I can leave him by himself after lunch and Friday I tried to do some Christmas Shopping. I am going to try to get some decorations up today and clean the kitchen....this week I was only able to walk the dogs....I did not get to the mall to walk again. Monday will be a little different as Mr BC is going to the hospital for an out patient surgery to have his dialysis port placed so he will be ready for dialysis when he needs it....it has to heal well.
29. What did your last text message say? I don't text a lot....It was to DD1 about her dad. He had been doing better in the hospital and was going to go home. I answered one from SIL telling him he was weird.
30. Do you respond to texts quickly? Yes I do when I can hear the alert and it is safe to answer.
31. Who was the last person you called? DD2, the pharmacy.
32. List 5 things that are on your wish list.
Mr BC will be well enough for me to go to Cali in February.
To get over this sinus bug that is wearing me down then stay healthy myself.
That my family will be happy and healthy this coming year.
World Peace would be good. A new pair of slippers for Christmas.
33. If you were famous, what do you think you would be famous for? My fashion sense...Yesterday I walked the dogs in plaid jammy pants and a polka dot rain jacket. The dogs didn't mind.
34. Winter or summer? Winter when I can be cozy. I would not have liked to go to work in the snow. Summer in our area is too humid to be comfortable the air conditioning is on all the time.
35. What is a quality that all people should have? Empathy and Honesty
36. If you could have a large collection of one item, what would that item be?
Opals, I love opals.
37. What have you been thinking about lately? Lots of worries.....I am tending towards worst case scenarios....and I really need to snap out of it. His health is still so up in the air ....I keep hoping things will settle down and he will start feeling better.
38. What is the secret to a happy life? I don't know...finding a purpose to your life and enjoying the things you have to do.
39. What are some phrases you say often? Yeah..but, You have to eat so you can take your medicine, You Okay?
40. Favorite food? Unfortunately, dessert and sweets.
41. What is your wish for the world? That terrorism would abate. That fundamentalism would change to universal-ism and religion.
42. What are some of your greatest fears? This man:
43. What is the last thing you downloaded onto your computer? Pictures of my Boys. The second one is them in their 'tank'. Boys and their cardboard box imaginations.
44. Most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen (in real life)? My babies and my grand babies..
45. Spicy food: Like or dislike? I have trouble with spicy, but I'm ok if my Pepsid is near.
46. Scary movies: Like or dislike? Dislike, unless they have some tongue and cheek humor.
47. Do you like to travel? Oh yes, but I am always glad to come home.
48. Any regrets? Not too many, they don't seem so regrettable the older I get.
49. Do you like rain? Not for long...It has been gloomy all weekend, and finally started overnight. It is rather cozy this morning, but I am ready for it to be over soon, I have to get out and about next week.
Tuesday, December 08, 2015
Can I come up with 10 thing? Let's see....
1. Last week I finally changed the slip cover on my Ikea sofa. It will look very Christmassy, with the right accessories, and maybe stay cleaner.
2. Totem was in my face today. It has been 5 days since we took a walk... Rain and clouds. Totem wanted out early, since the sun was finally shining thru his window. I threw on a jacket for our walk and he was delighted.....Time to get out the knit hats and gloves for our daily dog walk, I thought my ears were going to fall off they were so cold, but the sun was shining but it was cold. I had to keep my hands warm with the poop bags. Today is a beautiful day but....Mr BC's, physical therapist said we would have an awful winter, last week when came for his first visit. This weeks sunshine would belie that statement....but then this is Missouri and weather changes on a dime.
3. Did you know that Medicare pays for a nurse and a PT, to come to your house when you are released from the hospital at no charge to us? I didn't know that. I am sure it depends on how sick you are, but Mr BC's failing kidneys apparently qualify. It was good to have her around, when it turned out he had to go back to the hospital 4 days after his first release.
4. We have had a real education on dialysis this week. I was not aware that in some instances you can DIY at home, and not be chained to the 3 day a week schedule. We are going to try that first, when Mr BC must go to dialysis...which he will.
5. I told my grandson Caшa,3+ that I loved him to the moon and back,when we were on the phone and he replied he loved me to the moon and beyond. Snap...he wins.
6. I don't know what I was thinking, when I went out to run a few errands on the weekend, the first chance I had in my busy week.....first free weekend with Mr BC out of the hospital and the first weekend in December, not smart. crowds everywhere, even the pet store. I was in and out then home.
7. I also started back walking at the Mall this week. It was nice visiting with some of the folks we see out there and catching them up with Mr BC. They are looking forward to when he can join us again. The men folk wanted to know how he was doing and the ladies wanted to know how I was doing.....Well walking I am doing for myself.
8. Since we will be home for Christmas, I need to bring a few things down from the loft to decorate. It will be just us two and DD2. The California contingent are going to make a trip to Serbia for a change and a different Christmas Day, Jan 7th. My ladies who walk have a head start with their trees up already.
9. We both miss our Mr Caspar, he was a sweet guy and a good buddy. It is bittersweet, that he no longer gazes every time I have something to munch on in front of the TV. I realize that now I can eat undisturbed, with out his sweet brown eyes looking longingly at my food and feeling so bad that I couldn't give him any. He put on a few pounds under our care and I feel bad about that. It took a while for us to realize that he was eating anything not nailed down....including things left in the other dogs bowls. He was a chow hound.
10. Mr BC and I are entering a new period in our life. His health is still not back to any sort of normal. He is in renal failure and that is not changing. We have that and possible chronic heart failure to look forward to. I have to be mindful when he request help from me that it is because he really needs my help. I hear tones of voice enter my head and I need to make sure they don't exit my mouth. I pray for patience every day, and a good nights sleep.