Saturday, May 05, 2007

Well the computer is not broken, however, I am trying t0 Clean House so to speak. When Mr Bankerchick parked his 2 MG's in the storage we brought back several boxes of stuff that had been stored away since my Mom passed away. We cleaned out her house 2 years ago to sell it and while we tossed a lot of stuff, gave away to charity, many, many things I still had boxes of things that I just couldn't relinquish at that time. I was mostly dishes and knicknacks, that were still to hard to get rid of since they had been such a part of her life and mine. So I went thru them today and managed to send on to Goodwill most of it. I have many things of hers that I use still and I was pretty ruthless about what was in the boxes. All of the grandkids had the opportunity to pick things out several years ago, so most of it went out the door.

One of the things I learned by cleaning out her house was that I was not going to do the same thing to my kids, Mom had things from my dad, his parents and her mom in her garage. She lived in the same house all of her married life so there was so much there to go thru and truth be told not a lot of valuables except for the memories. Mr Bankerchick is a pack rat too, either he is going to be able to use it some day, or they are things from his life that he can look over and say...just think....(my kids will understand that statement). We need to simplify! Since we are the old folks now... as I clean, I have sorted thru not only my mom's stuff but my own. I have made envelopes for school memorabilia for each of us and only chose the things that might be interesting to go thru in the passing years. I chose not to enshrine every single piece of paper my kids or I put a pen or crayon to. My dining room is almost clear of those boxes and I have to make a trip to Goodwill tomorrow and I feel quite a bit lighter. Putting a few years between the packing and unpacking definitely makes it easier to let loose of the THINGS cluttering my closets, drawers my life. And I have decided not to bring anything into the house, unless I get rid of something in exchange. Too whom it may concern: That does not mean I am getting rid of the kitty when I get the new Puppy!

No comments :

Post a Comment