Saturday 9: Hawaii Five-O (1969)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This is the theme from the TV show that originally ran from 1968 to 1980 and is on now again with a new cast.
Were you/are you a fan? I watched the 1968 incarnation. I haven't been a fan of most re-do's of old shows, it usually is not the same. I enjoyed the show when it was on but was a fan of James McArthur.
2) On both shows, Five-O is an elite police task force led by Det. Lt. Steve McGarrett. Who is your favorite TV cop?
Barney Miller! Mr BC and I are currently watching Life on Netflix, It only made two seasons, but was a great show with Damien Lewis, I like cops with quirks.
3) On both shows, the part of Danny "Danno" Williams was played by a second generation performer. (James MacArthur was the son of Broadway legend Helen Hayes; Scott Caan is the son of movie actor James Caan.) If you followed one of your parents into their chosen profession, what would you be doing?
I guess I would be a lawyer or a law secretary as that was what dad and mom were. She ran his office. It skipped a generation and DD1 is an attorney.
4) Both shows are filmed in Hawaii, the boyhood home of President Obama. Have any of our 44 Presidents hailed from your state?
Harry Truman was born in Lamar MO. Not to far from where we live, we went to see his home a very small one room house if I remember correctly. We would like to visit his home in Kansas City one of these days. He vacationed in Key West when we were there in 1968 and we went out to the Naval Air Station to see him and Bess get off the plane.
5) Kona coffee is made from beans cultivated on the Big Island of Hawaii. Are you a big coffee drinker?
I like coffee and have a cup every morning. I don't think I would be called a big coffee drinker.
6) This week's song was written by the late Morton Stevens. In addition to composing for TV shows, he was the musical director for a group of entertainers known in the 60s as "The Rat Pack." Can you name any "Rat Pack" members? YES.
7) This week's featured band, The Ventures, began when Don Wilson purchased a used car from Bob Bogle. During negotiations, they discovered a shared passion for playing guitar. Did you buy your current ride new or used? Did the negotiations go smoothly?
We bought it new 10 years ago and it is still running smoothly. The negotiations were smooth as Mr BC worked for GM at the time. Our Toyota Truck is still running good too. Those are our two most recent purchases, both over 10 years ago.
8) The year this song was popular, 1969, is when Donald and Doris Fisher opened a San Francisco clothing store called The Gap. Today there are more than 3,200 Gap locations.
Do you shop at The Gap or gap.com? I shop the Gap for things for the grandsons. It is too young for me.
9) Random question: What's on your Saturday to-do list?
Mr BC is back from California. I had a root-canal Wednesday and it was too painful to shop until today. I usually try to stay out of the grocery stores on the weekends but no excuses, I have to shop.