Saturday, October 18, 2014
Saturday 9: The Power of Love (1985)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Huey explains that you don't need a credit card to find love. What's the last thing you charged? I don't use credit cards very often....but I do use AMEX, where I have to pay the balance off every month. We last charged a tire for DD2. It's a long story, she had a blow out on her way to work and we went out to the highway to wait for the tow truck, while she went on to work. We found out she was driving on her spare ???? so we had to have it towed to the Walmart where we bought a tire for her spare, so she could finally get her other tire fixed on her day off, which she did I think.
2) This song was written for Back to the Future. At the beginning of the movie, hero Marty McFly traveled around town on his skateboard. Are you good on a skateboard? Yeah......, Nope! Never been on one. I can remember when I was young and kids made scooters and a pre-skate boards out of skates.
3) Huey sings lead and his backup group is The News. Was the most recent news you heard bad or good? I can't remember the last time I heard good news from the news reporters. Brian Williams, on NBC always ends the daily news with an upbeat news story.
4) Huey's mother, Maria, was born in Poland. Who is the first member of your family to be born in the US of A? I would love to know and I often wish I could research that. I do know we come from a Celtic/English surnames and we go back past the Revolutionary war, on both sides.
5) Brainy Huey got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Did you take the SAT? How did you do? Probably average.
6) This song also hit #1 in Australia, where anzac biscuits are popular. To make them (the recipe is here) you need coconut. Do you have any coconut in your home right now? No, but I do have some coconut oil that I have given the dogs, I didn't see the benefits that everyone was claiming.
7) Thinking of dessert, would you rather have cookies, cake, pie, ice cream or frozen yogurt? Pie, although, I found some frozen peach yogurt that I am savoring.
8) We're definitely into autumn now. What will you remember most about Summer 2014? That I have hurt, somewhere in my body, since spring.
9) Tell us your superhero name, as determined by the color of your shirt and an item directly to your right. For example, Sam fights crime as The Gold Kleenex Box! The Orange Mirror.
Friday, October 17, 2014
John Oliver made an excellent point about Columbus Day, on Last Week Tonight, about why is Columbus Day still a Thing? He discusses how "some people with brains don’t celebrate it anymore. So America’s least favorite holiday commemorates a murderous, egomaniac who’s most famous discovery was a cast of getting lost and refusing to ask directions, all of which is enough to make you wonder— Columbus Day. How is this still a thing?” I don't remember being taught about the genocide that Columbus perpetuated. See the link above to see the video.
Monday, October 13, 2014
Friday, October 10, 2014
It is Friday and time for Friday Fragments with Mrs. 4444, and share
some things that are too small for a whole blog post. I need to clean
out some things I noticed this week from my saved photos.
Fall is my favorite season and I have been clipping all things Fall
Last week we had a thunder storm and my brother-in law's 9 month old English mastiff puppy (the size of a miniature horse) escaped his yard and we found him wandering the neighborhood. He knows us, so he willingly followed us to our yard but would not come through the gate. Anxious to get him off the streets, Mr BC tried to pull him in while I picked up his rear end and we walked him into the yard. As we were trying to close the gate, I dropped his butt and immediately fell on top of him. I still tried to catch myself to no avail, falling with my hand out and under me. I thought it was broken but the xray says no, thank goodness. But a week later it is still sprained and hurts, but I can't blame the pup. I have not accomplished much with my hand splinted.
|She is about this size and a puppy.|
Monday, October 06, 2014
I really like the idea of recording some of my memories so I'm joining Judy @ retired not tired for Memory Monday and her prompts for jogging some of my memories.
Our prompt is: My First Memory
Like Romi @ In the Way Everlasting, so many of my memories are influenced by pictures, home movies and stories it is hard to know if those first memories aren't somehow influenced by those things.
I remember going to Sunday dinner at my grandparents house, always fried chicken. We were there every Sunday after church.
I think my first true memory is of going to my cousin's first day of kindergarten and wanting to go with her so badly. I had to wait for the next year. During that year my elementary school was built at the end of our street and I remember watching the walls go up. I was in the first kindergarten class. That summer we got dressed up and went to the school office to register me. That school remained a huge part of my life as we were on the playground during school hours and after. When we moved back to California in 1982, we stayed for a while with my folks and DD1 went to 4th grade at that school. It is still there, although it has been converted into a Jr High School. I went there K-8.
I also remember going to Sunday School and Ruthie Pridgen was my teacher. She was one half of an older couple, who were friends for years of my Mom and Dad, she always loved to tell the story of when we were asked to sing a song in class, and I sang a beer commercial jingle. We got our first television just before I started school.
Sunday, September 28, 2014
Actually I fall somewhere in between these two.
I've been visiting the grand kids and I was so busy I did not have time to even turn on the computer much. I commented a little. I was really glad to get home. Now I need to get ready for the holidays, now that September is almost over. Mr BC and the furry kids were glad to see me Friday nite.
1. What is your zodiac sign? Leo on the cusp of Cancer, i actually 'fit' better. I think horoscopes are fun and interesting but I don't follow.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.1) This music video was produced by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Can you name a Monkees song?
The Last Train to Clarksville and my personal favorite Day Dream Believer. When I first heard they were created for a TV show.....I thought yeah, that is going to be good....for sure. It turned out that I liked their music.
2) The song includes the foreign sounding phrases, "Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya," and "Oh, Jambo Jumbo!" Mr. Richie meant to include language indigenous to the Caribbean, but was writing the song under deadline and simply made those phrases up instead. Tell about the most recent time you cheated or "cut corners."
Well, I cheat on my diet all the time, I shouldn't eat sweets, because they are my downfall. The last time I cut corners was when I had some fresh strawberries. I just cut off the tops, rather than coring the last batch of stems. I find they actually need more sweetener, if you leave those cores.
I went to a city college in CA in the late 60's and I joined an independent on-campus sorority. I met Mr BC through one of my sisters. I had some fun and the girls were just ordinary like me. When DD1 went to UCSB, she did not think a sorority was her cup of tea.
When I was a little girl I use to watch, but they are not as interesting to me now. Like models and Barbie, I don't think they represent real or realistic beauty or intelligence.
5) Since it's Labor Day weekend, that holiday established to
I started my banking career as a teller 35 or so years ago and I ended my 28 years at a bank in CA, a couple of years ago. I worked as a trainer of phone bankers for our Customer Service center in Southern CA, and enjoyed the non branch environment. I was ready to retire, though, I had lost a lot of my drive, the closer I got to 65. I also found that I had less in common with my trainees as they got younger and I got older.
6) An estimated 40% of us have dated a coworker. Have you ever had an office romance?
Before I met Mr BC, I dated some guys from work. It usually didn't work out and turned out to be a bad idea.
7) Labor Day is a big weekend for travel. How did you book your last vacation? (Online, through a travel agent, over the phone ...) I sent for some travel brochures online and one of their representatives contacted me. It is for a tour of London, Paris and Rome in '15, that we have looked into. I usually book things online, but we may book with this company if we decide to go.
8) Mother Winters won't wear white again now, until next Memorial Day. Sam thinks that's just crazy. Where do you fall in this heated mother/daughter debate? In CA I use to wear white a lot longer, but I tend to wear darker colors in Fall and Winter. I can remember when you didn't wear white gloves or shoes after Memorial Day. I really don't care other than white clothes are usually to light to wear in the dead of winter.
9) When you look at back on Summer 2014, what will you remember? The summer of the dentist chair. Last Tuesday I had another tooth pulled. It was really infected. I am glad for no pain.