Thursday, June 02, 2011

Join me in the 18th Century

                                                         Evelina by Fanny Burney
I am part of the group read of Evelina over at the Duchess of Devonshire's Gossip Guide .  This past summer I reread some Jane Austen, and as I stalked her around the Internet I have come across some great blogs of 18th Century and actually extended my reading from Jane Austen to other characters and authors of the time.
Fanny Burney is an author of the time known to the Duchess of Devonshire and her ton whom Jane Austen read and may have been inspired by.  This particular read is an epistolary novel that Jane used in some of her juvenalia and the  first drafts of her more  famous writings.  The only novel that I know of, written in the form of letters is Lady Susan.  I don't think this form of writing continued with JA writings as I don't think it  leads to the character development for which Austen is so famous. Evelina is a great read and if you are interested you should go over to the Duchess's site and read more about this book and the times.

No comments :

Post a Comment