Saturday, January 05, 2008

My Daemond

Click here for more about me and Andreas

Well I have finished reading the book, and to call it a children's book is a misnomer, now that I have read the reviews of the fundamentalist religious right. I found it very intriguing and was very upset when the Vatican banned it the same week I started reading it. I like fantasy and sci-fi. When I read I don't always get the symbolism and sub-text, so I generally read like a child. When the sub-text is pointed out to me like it was, I start reading more into it. I would have enjoyed the book more if I could have enjoyed the suspense and action of the parallel world of Lyra. I hear the movie toned down the religious or athiestic rhetoric to give it more widespread appeal, but not enough for some groups. I plan to see the movie this weekend. The book has a definite philosophical POV and at the end even I was able to see the controversy. Parents and older children reading it could have a wonderful opportunity to express their beliefs in discussion. It is a thinking book no matter where you fall in the pro/anti religious themes category and talking with your children, not at them is a good thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment