Saturday, November 08, 2014

Can You Spare a Dime? Nope.

.




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Bing Crosby wants a dime for food. Adjusted for inflation, 10¢ in 1932 is now worth $1.69. Can you think of anything you could buy at the grocery story with $1.69? I bought this today,  It was the only thing on my receipt for $1.69

 2) This song was originally released as a 78 rpm record. Have you ever seen a 78? Oh yes, 78's were my first children's records.  I graduated to 45's in my teens, and 33 1/3's for my record albums. Kids today would want to know....What's a record?




3) In 1932, Jean Harlow was Hollywood's glamor queen. Who do you think sets the standard for glamour today? I think Glamour's 50 glamorous women don't hold a candle to the old stars.  I guess, Angelina Jolie would be there and maybe Julia Roberts.  I think George Clooney's new bride, Amal is fantastic.

4) One of 1932's best selling books was Agatha Christie's Peril at End House. She remains popular today. Are you familiar with her work? I am from Masterpiece Theater and movies. I think they were good mysteries but somewhat old-fashion todays. 

5) This week's featured artist, Bing Crosby, worked as a caddy when he was 12 and continued to enjoy time on the golf course his entire life. What type of exercise do you do most often? I walk the dogs.

6) Bing had twin sons, Dennis and Philip. Many people believe that the propensity for twins is hereditary. Are there twins in your family? 
No. Not on either side.

7) Bing's daughter, Mary Crosby, has her own place in TV history. Do you know why? She shot J.R of Dallas fame.

8) In the mid 1970s, Crosby and his family did commercials for Minute Maid. Do you have any orange juice in your refrigerator? No, but I have some Cran-Grape, I mix it with my Sierra Mist.

9) Now for something completely random: Do you like beef jerky?




5 comments :

  1. Love that photo of the thick yellow 78s! My favorite uncle had quite a few and it took me back.

    Isn't Amal great? I love that an accomplished, unconventionally beautiful woman can win Prince Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary shot JR! Aha! I didn't want to Google the answer and knew some regular players would know why she was famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot about Julia Roberts. She should be on that list of glamorous women, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a moment I thought I was the only one who remembered who Mary Crosby was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm old enough to remember Mary Crosby - but I don't! A while ago I tried beef jerky for the first time ... it was awful.

    ReplyDelete