Saturday, March 15, 2014

Unicorn-Saturday 9


"The Unicorn" was selected because Monday is St. Patrick's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This song was recorded by The Irish Rovers. While it's said that on St. Patrick's Day everyone is Irish, can you honestly claim Irish heritage? 

I don't think so, most of our family surnames are Scottish. Mr. BC has a McKinley in the background.  

2) According to the 2000 Census, Massachusetts is the state with the largest percentage of residents of Irish descent. Have you ever been to The Bay State? No, but we are planning a trip to New England this fall and Massachusetts is included in our itinerary. We are both history buffs and a lot of American History took place there. We plan to be gone for a month.

3) Other than St. Patrick, what is Ireland famous for? 

Guinness, whisky, the color green, the Blarney Stone, the potato famine, red hair, shamrocks, leprechauns, U2, Limericks and luck..... lots of stuff.

4) St. Patrick's Day is celebrated the world over. They even watch marching bands and wave Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day in Moscow. Does your town have a St. Patrick's Day parade? 

No, only a Christmas Parade and various Homecoming Parades.

5) "The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day? If I remember.

6) Have you ever had green beer? No.

7) Have you ever ordered a Shamrock Shake at McDonald's? 

They're Ok.....but my preferred green drink is Starbucks Green Tea Frappicino. I once had someone convinced it was an Avocado Shake.
 
8) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm? A Butterfly. 
We see them often around important events so I am convinced when I see one that it is my mom looking over my shoulder. 

9) Speaking of Lucky Charms, they are magically delicious.  What brand of cereal is in your kitchen right now? 

Quaker's Oatmeal Squares are my current favorite.

http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/

10 comments :

  1. Love the oatmeal squares! Enjoy your trip in the fall - that's the best time, and make sure you have good walking shoes. You can walk around the whole city and just see history everywhere. Sigh... I miss it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oatmeal squares? Hmm, I've never heard of that. I guess I should go look those up! I love oatmeal!

    I don't like anything with the green tea taste (I tried the green tea matcha at Jamba Juice and ended up throwing away the whole thing), but you've got me intrigued if you say someone thought it was an avocado shake? hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's sweet that you relate butterflies to your mom. I do the same thing with black cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go to Boston, check out the Trolley rides. It's a great thing to do as a tourist and quite reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New England in the fall is glorious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterflies are wonderful to see. So magical! I am a history buff, too, but our travels will have to wait a little longer, until the boy is older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar Puffs are hubby's breakfast cereal... I don't take any cereal.

    I believe that butterflies are lucky. Unfortunately we don't see enough of them where I live. So sad.

    Your text seems to have shrunk, BC. It is now very small. I know how to enlarge it but I wondered why it had suddenly gone that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to try the green tea frap... always get coffee at Starbucks! Maybe that will be my treat today before work!

    My Saturday 9

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the song well and do have Irish heritage. When I was in Ireland in November, found Bennett's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Irish and the Scots ran back and forth across that Strait, and an Irish clan eventually over came the Picts to take over Scotland, so the two groups have to be intermingled in some way. My grandparents who both Irish and Scots on my mother's side. McCoy's for one, and the other lost in the mists of time.

    ReplyDelete